- Population 8.2 million, capital is Tegucigalpa with 1 million people.
- 2nd poorest country in Central America with 65% living below poverty line.
- Sub-Tropical and temporate climate.
- Language is primarily Spanish with regional Amerindian dialects.
- 97% of country is Roman Catholic.
- 83% of population is literate. (high)
- 49 international governmental organizations working in country and numerous NGO’s.
- Economic growth is slow, causing the IMF to consider the country “Heavily indebted poor”
- Current weather conditions – www.weather.com
- Tips for Travel in country – www.travel.state.gov
- Currency exchange rates – www.xe.com
Government in Power
Democratic Constitutional Republic. Following Coup d’etat in 2009. Chief of state and government is President Porfiro LOBO Sosa. Honduras is a major shipping point for narcotics, so extensive corruption is prevalent throughout military and government.
- Maternal mortality 110 per 100,000. Birth rate of 3.09 children per woman.
- Infant mortality 20.44 per 1,000 births.
- LIfe expectancy is 69 yrs for men, and 72 yrs for women.
- Physician density is 0.57 per 1,000 people.
- Hospital bed density is 0.8 per 1,000 people.
- HIV rate is 2.2% with 39,000 currently infected.
- Prevalent diseases include bacterial diarrhea, Maleria, Typhoid, Hepatitis, Dengue fever, and water borne diseases like Leptospirosis.
- Age structure: 0-14 is 36%, 15-64 is 60%, and over 65 is 4%.
- Infectious disease updates: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm