- Population is 45.2 million
- Capital is Bogota with 8.2 million
- 75% of people live in urban areas.
- Collapse of GRAN COLOMBIA in 1830 led to creation of Colombia, Equador, and Venezula.
- Insurgent and Paramilitary groups still fighting for control of government and country.
- Leading Cocaine producer in the world.
- Flooding in 2010-201 caused over 6 billion in damages, and severely hurt the economy.
- Climate is Tropical near coast, and cooler inland.
- Economy highly dependent on oil export.
- Agriculture, Services and Industry make up the labor force.
- Official language is Spanish, 90% of population is Roman Catholic.
- 11.2% unemployment
- 46% live below poverty line, but 90% of population is literate.
- Current weather conditions – www.weather.com
- Tips for Travel in country – www.travel.state.gov
- Currency exchange rates – www.xe.com
Government in Power
Republic. Chief of State and Government: President Juan Manuel Santos Calderon.
- Maternal mortality is 8.5 per 1,000. 2.12 births per woman.
- Infant mortality is 15.9 per 1,000.
- Life expectancy is 74.9 yrs.
- Healthcare Expendature is 6.4% of GDP.
- Physician density is 1.3 per 1,000.
- Hospital bed density is 1 per 1,000.
- HIV rate is 0.5%, with 160,000 currently infected.
- Disease risk: High.
- Prevalent diseases: Bacterial Diarrhea, Denge & Yello fevers, Malaria, and Leptospirosis.
- Infectious disease updates: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm
Images From the Field
Health education in the field This is a very important topic that I believe is often overlooked on many mission trips! While it’s wonderful to go spend a week doing clinic work, the reality of these mission trips is that it’s a short-term mission trip, and when the week or so is over, clinic ends! […]
- Continued » View All Stories »