- Officially the Italian Republic
- Italy first became a nation state in 1861 when the regional states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor Emmanuel II.
- Italy was a charter member of NATO and the EEC.
- Persistent problems include illegal immigration, organized crime, corruption, high unemployment, and low incomes and technical standards of southern Italy compared with the prosperous north.
- Land includes the entirety of the Italian Peninsula, Sicily, Sardinia (the two largest islands in the Mediterranean Sea) and many other smaller islands.
- It has been ranked as the world’s 24th most developed country.
- Climate: Predominantly Mediterranean; Alpine in far north; hot, dry in south
- Ethnic groups: Italian (includes small clusters of German, French, and Slovene-Italians in the north and Albanian-Italians and Greek-Italians in the south.
- Languages: Italian (official), German, French, Slovene
- Religions: Christian 80% (mainly Roman Catholic), Muslims (growing)
- Population: 61.26 million
- Major Cities: Rome (capital) 3.357 million, Milan, Naples, Turin, and Palermo
- Literacy Rate: 98.4%
- GDP per capita: $36,267
- Current weather conditions – www.weather.com
- Tips for Travel in country – www.travel.state.gov
- Currency exchange rates – www.xe.com
Government in Power
Unitary parliamentary constitutional republic
- President: Giorgio Napolitano
- Prime Minister: Mario Monti
- Life Expectancy: 81.86 years
- Maternal mortality rate: 5/100,000
- Infant mortality rate: 3.36/1,000
- Physicians density: 4.242/1,000 population
- Tickborne encephalitis (TBE) occurs in warmer months
- Leishmaniasis (cutaneous visceral) is found – an important opportunistic infection in HIV-infected persons
- Infectious disease updates: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm
Images From the Field
It was by random chance I got to work with the GFR team in Jordan 2014. Turned out the organization they were working with in Jordan needed an extra translator, and I just so happened to be in Amman at the time. Facebook Google+ Linkedin Twitter WhatsApp
- Continued » View All Stories »